HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT DIVORCE LAWYER
Obtain some preliminary information about the lawyer you are thinking of hiring before you meet with them. This will allow you to familiarize yourself with their practice and weed out the ones whose philosophies are incompatible with your own. Viisit the lawyer's website and then call their ofice to ask a few basic questions, such as:
EIGHT QUESTION TO HELP YOU CHOOSE A FAMILY LAW LAWYER.
1. What percentage of their business is in family law?
2 How long have they been practicing family law?
3. Does their practice inlcude alternative such as collaborative law, or do they encourage the use of outside alternate dispute resolution/mediation to minimize cost?
4. Do they have an introductory free consultation? If so how much time?
5. What istheir hourly rate, and in what time increments do they bill?
6. Do they provide itemized invoices showeing costs incurred and retainer balance?
7. What is the minimum retainer?
8. Are they a solo practitioner or do they have other lawyers at the firm?
TWELVE QUESTIONS TO ASK AT THE INITIAL INTERVIEW:
1. What is your preferred strategy/philosophy for handling a divorce case? (lamb, pitbull or a fox)
2. What percentage of your cases end in court and what percentage settles?
3. Can you give me a realistic expenctation of what is typical with cases similar to my case?
4. What do you think i can expect to pay in: (child support/spousal support)?
5. Do you foresee any problems arising in my case?
6. Do you charge extra for copies, filing fees, and other fees?
7. What is your preferred method of communicatin (phone, email, text)
8. Do you recommend working with other professinals (depenidng on your case: Analist, business valuator, forensic accountant, therapist?)
9. Can you provide long-range forecast of what I should expect my future will look like for a potential marital settlement agreement.
10. May I have a copy of your retainer agreement, engagement letter, or other contract that you require so that I can review it before agreeing to retain your services?
11. Will you provide me with copies of correspondence and legal documents pertaining to my case?
12. What documents do you need from me in order to get started?